Ants all at sea as they sink at Vale of Clyde

Fresh from their first win of the season, the Ants travelled to Fullerton Park for this midweek match however come full time they would have wished the traffic chaos that held most of the squad up had went on long into the night as a clinical Vale of Clyde won their first game of the season convincingly.

The opening exchanges saw both teams trying to get a feel for the game as the rain lashed down and the opening 10 minutes saw a couple of half chances with Fraser for the Vale hitting over the bar from distance then McLaughlin for the Ants having a shot blocked, however in the 13th minute of the game we got the opening goal and what a strike it was, McCue’s throw in found DEAN CURRIE a good 30 yards out from goal and he unleashed a low powerful drive that although Patrick got a hand to, hit the inside of the post and into the net to make it 1-0 to the home side.  The Ants started to find their feet a little more after the goal and a cross from Milne was inches away from reaching Edwards at the back post but the Ants hitman was always stretching and the chance was gone, then Leszczynski was sent through on goal, but good goalkeeping saw Scott off his line quickly enough to narrow the angle and get the block in. A clever flick from the impressive Hogan put the Vale goalscorer Currie in on goal again but this time his half volley went over the bar and it remained 1-0 to the Tin Pail. Right on the stroke of half time came the Ants best chance of the half when Gallacher hit a shot from the edge of the box but Vale keeper Scott made a fine diving save.


The second half was barely a minute old when the Ants almost grabbed an equaliser when McLaughlin had a shot from distance but Scott was on hand again to push the ball over the bar for a corner that came to nothing. Hogan was becoming more of a danger and a jinking run saw him beat 2 or 3 Ants defenders before his low cross was blocked by McGarrigle then Turner almost got lucky when he closed down a pass back to Patrick and the ball hit the Vale striker but luckily for Ants the ball went over the bar. In the 64th minute the Vale went two goals up, A long ball from the back was misjudged by Marshall, McGarrigle and NICKY FRASER raced to get onto the ball but it was the Vale number 9 who flicked a boot at the ball over the head of Patrick who had decided to come for the ball and into the empty net.  The Vale were turning the screw and it was only a great save by Patrick that kept it at 2-0 as he parried away a shot from the edge of the box but in the 70th minute the Vale got their 3rd, this time Patrick made another good save from Hogan but the ball broke to SEAN MCGILLIVARY and he slotted into the net despite the efforts of the Ants defence to all but tie up the match. The Ants did pull a goal back through MARK MCILVANEY in the 80th minute when his shot from 30 yards was deflected past Scott to make it 3-1 but the joy was short lived as KEVIN TURNER restored the Vale’s 3 goal cushion in the 84th minute with a shot that crept past Patrick into the far bottom corner.

A fully deserved first win of the season for Vale of Clyde and much to think about for Ants manager John Kelly





Date Time League Season Match Day Full Time
August 21, 2019 6:45 pm West Region League 2 2019-20 5 90'


Fullerton Park
9 Easterhill St, Glasgow G32 8LN, UK


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Vale of Clyde134
Saint Anthony’s FC011

Saint Anthony’s FC

1Sean Patrick Goalkeeper
2Graeme Crawford Defender
3Connor Milne Defender
4Stephen McGarrigle Defender
5Greg Marshall Defender
6Shaun Gallacher Midfielder 18'
7Chris MacDonald 16 Midfielder
8Chris McLaughlin Midfielder 14'
9David Edwards 17 Forward
10Kamil Leszczynski Forward
11Fraser Williams 15 Midfielder 25'
12Kris Littler Defender
14Anton Conway Midfielder
15Mark McIlvaney 11 Midfielder 80'
16Gary McGarroch 7 Forward
17Stephen Gray 9 Forward
  1 3


Kieran O’Reilly


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.